Chapel Extension Proposal, Twickenham
An existing 1950’s chapel in a residential streetscape. The chapel’s entrance presence on the street was rather non-descript. Also, with a growing congregation, the chapel required existing space to be rationalised to accommodate this. Three proposals were produced for presentation to the chapel elders offering a spectrum of possible solutions at different budgets. The first option focussed on providing a new contemporary entrance lobby area at the front of the chapel, disguising most of the 1950’s facade. Along with a new front entrance area, the second option looked at introducing new side circulation spaces which would lead the congregation to enter at the back of the main chapel, allowing the speakers’ location to be flipped from the back to the front of the chapel. Opportunity was also taken to rationalise existing w.c. layouts and provide flexible meeting hall spaces with separate entrances. The third option incorporated the proposals of the second, but also added a balcony seating area to the main hall of the chapel to provide additional congregation seating. This balcony area would be expressed externally with a zinc/copper clad intervention to the rear of the main chapel.